5 Copywriting Tactics
Prospects aren’t grabbed by hype, they’re repelled by it. Five terms in particular do major damage and kill results. Watch out for these:
- Free. Offering free trials or demos can work in a down economy. But spam filters are tough on subject lines containing “free” – and companies can’t risk having email blocked today.
Tip: Replace “free” with “complimentary” or “no cost.”
- Guarantee. There are so few actual guarantees these days that buyers don’t believe them – unless they’re proven right away.
- Really/Very. These are filler words. Is this message more compelling with “very” in it? “Very few companies can beat our service.”
- A lot. If a company offers 15 varieties, it’s best to say it. What’s more appealing? “100 channels” or “a lot of channels.”
- Opportunity. Prospects aren’t looking for opportunities. They want results – not just a chance to get results.
Source: The Marketing Report, March 17, 2009